The luxembourg art gallery Galerie Clairefontaine, Epace 1, was founded by Dr. Marita Ruiter in 1988. It started out with Austrian classic modern painters like Oscar Kokoschka, Gustav Klimt and Egon Schiele and then continued to show international contemporary painting, sculpture, and photography.
In 1997 Galerie Clairefontaine, Espace 2, a second space, was inaugurated by Dr. Marita Ruiter with the aim to promote photography and show cutting edge positions in contemporary art.
Both art galleries are situated in the very heart of the historical center of Luxembourg City, surrounded by the government and only a few steps away from the Museums and the Palace of the Grand Duke.
Parallel to the exhibition program, Dr. Marita Ruiter has started a number of long-term projects, e.g.:
- the annual Luxembourg photo-festival called “photomeetings luxembourg”
- the ongoing photo-series of a group of Luxembourg people “Luxembourg portraits”
- as well as the paining project “The portrait society” by Roland Schauls
The Galerie Clairefontaine’s collections, which may be lent to Museums and other Cultural Institutions for exhibitions:
- “Portraits and Reportages by Gisèle Freund”
- “The First Aerial Photographs of Berlin”
- “ Fidel Castro and the Revolutionary movement in CUBA 1959/60”
Galerie Clairefontaine developed to one of the leading galleries in the Interregion. Well known in the International Art Market the gallery offers the best professional visibility to emerging as well as established artists.